Hostile architecture. You might not be familiar with the term, but you’ve probably seen it in action. Those spikes on the window ledges, designed to keep the birds away. Or, in a more sinister fashion, things like strategically-placed armrests or rocky floors, cynically installed to ensure that vulnerable people in need of shelter are forced to look elsewhere.
Not only are homeless folks discriminated against directly and culturally, but also structurally too. These exclusionary designs, denying people even the right to find a place to rest, are a stark illustration of our society’s collective disregard for basic humanity. Surely we can do better than this?
This heartbreaking list, compiled by Gnuisefeed, shows some of the most offensive examples of ‘anti-homeless’ designs, and it will make you ever so grateful for that roof over your head. Because it seems that if misfortune strikes and you should one day happen to lose it, you are most certainly not welcome to try and find a place to sleep on the streets. Scroll down to see what we mean for yourself, and let us know what you think in the comments.[H/T)
01. You’ve Got To Be The Worst Kind Of Heartless Twat If You Can Go Around Slashing Homeless People’s Tents
02. Someone Installs These Poles To Prevent The Homeless From Sleeping Here, They Find A Solution Anyways
03. Modern Problems Require Modern…oh Wait
04. When You’re Inclusive But Still Hate The Poor
05. Anyone Else Find This Ironic?
06. An Eyecatching Response To Mumbai’s Homelessness Crisis